DHCP: multiple hardware address?
Christoph Gartmann
2008-07-14 10:45:36 UTC
Hello,

is it possible to have a statment in DHCPD.CONF that assigns two different
hardware addresses a single IP address? E.g.:

host Mac485 {
hardware ethernet 00:1f:5b:35:77:2c;
hardware ethernet 00:1f:5b:35:77:2d;
fixed-address 10.1.4.31;
option dhcp-client-identifier "Mac485";
}

The above is working under Multinet 5.2 but is this something supported?

Regards,
Christoph Gartmann
Immunbiologie
Postfach 1169 Internet: ***@immunbio dot mpg dot de
D-79011 Freiburg, Germany
Ken Connelly
2008-07-14 13:15:28 UTC
Shouldn't be a problem unless both are online simultaneously. Then, the
problem is obvious.

I have toyed with the idea of assigning the same IP to wired and
wireless nics of a single laptop, but haven't put that into production yet.

- ken
--
- Ken
Ken Connelly Associate Director, Security and Systems
email: ***@uni.edu p: (319) 273-5850 f: (319) 273-7373
Christoph Gartmann
2008-07-14 14:49:06 UTC
Post by Ken Connelly
Shouldn't be a problem unless both are online simultaneously. Then, the
problem is obvious.
I have toyed with the idea of assigning the same IP to wired and
wireless nics of a single laptop, but haven't put that into production yet.
Same here. With a MacPro that has two ethernet interfaces there is no problem.
With a small laptop it is working as well, but it takes about two minutes
until it gets its IP address. When there is only one LAN address in DHCPD.CONF
the laptop gets its IP address almost instantly. It is the Multinet DHCP server
that doesn't respond, a TCPDUMP shows the DHCP packets arriving.

Selden E Ball Jr
2008-07-14 13:57:45 UTC
Post by Ken Connelly
I have toyed with the idea of assigning the same IP to wired and
wireless nics of a single laptop, but haven't put that into production yet.
We've done that for years.

We were burned too many times by people using the MS network setup
wizard and unknowingly configuring their systems as routers.

Selden
======
Selden E. Ball, Jr.

Cornell University Voice: +1-607-255-0688
Laboratory for Elementary-Particle Physics FAX: +1-607-255-8062
LT105 R. R. Wilson Laboratory http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/
Dryden Road Email: ***@cornell.edu
Ithaca, NY, USA 14853-8001
Christoph Gartmann
2008-07-15 13:47:34 UTC
Post by Selden E Ball Jr
Post by Ken Connelly
I have toyed with the idea of assigning the same IP to wired and
wireless nics of a single laptop, but haven't put that into production yet.
We've done that for years.
The question is how to do it properly. If we do it like in my example it is
somehow working but takes a long time (around 80 seconds) for the client to
get its address.

So we do it differently and make a separate entry for each address, e.g.

host Mac485_E1 {
hardware ethernet 00:1f:5b:35:77:2c;
fixed-address 10.1.4.31;
option host-name "Mac485";
}
host Mac485_E2 {
hardware ethernet 00:1f:5b:35:77:2d;
fixed-address 10.1.4.31;
option host-name "Mac485";
}

But I would prefer to have it all in a single statement, e.g.

host Mac485_E1 {
hardware ethernet 00:1f:5b:35:77:2c;
hardware ethernet 00:1f:5b:35:77:2d;
fixed-address 10.1.4.31;
option host-name "Mac485";
}

It shouldn't be a big deal for Process to make the above thing work a bit
faster.