Timeout issues
Lewis, Aaron
2008-09-11 12:28:14 UTC
I have two identically configure Alpha ES80 servers. They have recently
been upgraded to VMS8.3 & Multinet 5.2, with all the same patches
installed on both. On 1 system any idle telnet connection gets dropped
after 1 hour, on the other system it will stay connected forever, which
is what I want. Both systems have keep alive timers set

Service "TELNET":

TCP socket (AF_INET6,SOCK_STREAM), Port 23

Socket Options = SO_KEEPALIVE

Keepalive timers: idle 900 seconds, probe interval 75, 2 probes

INIT() = Merge_Image

LISTEN() = TCP_Listen

CONNECTED() = TCP_Connected

SERVICE() = Internal_Telnet

Program = "MULTINET:LOADABLE_KERBEROS_TELNET"

Backlog = 500

. I've checked with the firewall guys and they verified that it is
nothing on their side. Anyone have any ideas on what's happening

Aaron Lewis

Systems Programmer

aaronlewis @users.com

Phone: 800.523.7282 x1783

Fax: 610.293.4416

USERS Business Line
Fiserv Credit Union Division
1250 Drummers Lane
Valley Forge, PA 19482
Michael Corbett
2008-09-11 15:03:27 UTC
Post by Lewis, Aaron
I have two identically configure Alpha ES80 servers. They have recently
been upgraded to VMS8.3 & Multinet 5.2, with all the same patches
installed on both. On 1 system any idle telnet connection gets dropped
after 1 hour, on the other system it will stay connected forever, which
is what I want. Both systems have keep alive timers set
TCP socket (AF_INET6,SOCK_STREAM), Port 23
Socket Options = SO_KEEPALIVE
Keepalive timers: idle 900 seconds, probe interval 75, 2 probes
INIT() = Merge_Image
LISTEN() = TCP_Listen
CONNECTED() = TCP_Connected
SERVICE() = Internal_Telnet
Program = "MULTINET:LOADABLE_KERBEROS_TELNET"
Backlog = 500
I'd start a tcpdump, start a telnet session, let it be idle and
get dropped and see who is closing the connection and why.

$ mu tcpdump host <client-ip> and port telnet

--Mike
Michael Corbett Email: ***@process.com
Process Software Phone: 800 722-7770 x369
959 Concord St. 508 879-6994 x369
Framingham MA 01701-4682 FAX: 508 879-0042