POP3 & large Attachments
Christoph Gartmann
2008-09-24 20:12:37 UTC
Hello,

with Multinet V5.2 plus all patches under OpenVMS 7.3-2 we realized the
following:

MultiNet POP3_server Flags = 0, Version = V5.2
s: +OK 2 messages in folder NEWMAIL (V5.2)<CR><LF>
c: STAT<CR><LF>
s: +OK 2 177<CR><LF>
c: UIDL<CR><LF>
s: +OK<CR><LF>
s: .<CR><LF>
c: LIST<CR><LF>
s: +OK 2 messages (177 octets)<CR><LF>
s: 1 0<CR><LF>
s: 2 177<CR><LF>
s: .<CR><LF>
c: QUIT<CR><LF>
s: +OK POP3 MultiNet immunbio.mpg.de Server exiting (1 NEWMAIL message left)<CR><LF>

The problem is that the first message is around 11 MB in size and far from
being empty! Why does Multinet say it consists of 0 octects? The POP3 user
has sufficient disk quotas. The problem is reproducible under various
accounts with various messages. It appears only with e-mails that exceed
a certain size (yet to be determined). Thus, what is wrong here?

Regards,
Christoph Gartmann
--
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Phone : +49-761-5108-464 Fax: -80464
Immunbiologie
Jim
2008-09-25 11:34:41 UTC
Post by Christoph Gartmann
[...]
Back in the day, perhaps with MultiNet V3.x or so, the POP server
would have issues with messages that were too large for the user's
server process to map into memory. Increasing the user's pgflquo (or
reading the large message from VMS to move it out of the NEWMAIL
folder) was the solution. I know nothing about the recent vintage POP
server but it would be simple enough to test if this is the issue
still. Hth.
Dan O'Reilly
2008-09-25 12:27:34 UTC
This could very well be an issue of PGFLQUOTA for the POP server. The
underlying structure here is VMS Mail, and it attempts to read the entire
message into memory at some point.
Post by Christoph Gartmann
[...]
------
| Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this |
| Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
| Process Software | and those who don't." |
| http://www.process.com | |
Jim
2008-09-25 13:51:01 UTC
This could very well be an issue of PGFLQUOTA for the POP server.  The
underlying structure here is VMS Mail, and it attempts to read the entire
message into memory at some point.
My recollection (which could be incorrect) was that the entire NEWMAIL
folder, and not just the a single message, was mapped into memory (and
so the pgflquo had to support all of it).
Ken Connelly
2008-09-25 14:17:27 UTC
Post by Jim
Post by Dan O'Reilly
This could very well be an issue of PGFLQUOTA for the POP server. The
underlying structure here is VMS Mail, and it attempts to read the entire
message into memory at some point.
My recollection (which could be incorrect) was that the entire NEWMAIL
folder, and not just the a single message, was mapped into memory (and
so the pgflquo had to support all of it).
Don't think so, and that doesn't gibe with the fact that he got the
second message, just not the first.
--
- Ken
Ken Connelly Associate Director, Security and Systems