MultiNet ECO kit available: STREAM_SYMBIONT-011_A052
b***@PROCESS.COM
2008-12-04 13:36:30 UTC
MultiNet ECO kit announcement

The following ECO kit is now available for MultiNet:

ECO: STREAM_SYMBIONT-011_A052
Release date: 4-DEC-2008
Ranking: 3
Max ranking: 3
Versions: V5.2A,V5.1A
Requisites:

ftp://ftp.multinet.process.com/patches/multinet052/stream_symbiont-011_a052.zip

To search the MultiNet ECO database, please visit the following URL:

http://www.multinet.process.com/eco.html

For more information, contact Process Software via:

E-mail: ***@process.com
Phone: 1-800-394-8700

The ECO kit README contents are below.

STREAM_SYMBIONT-011_A052 ECO kit rev 1.1 for MultiNet Version 5.2 Rev A 24-Sep-2008

Copyright (c) 2007, 2008, by Process Software LLC

ECO Ranking (this version): 3

ECO Ranking (maximum): 3

This kit updates MultiNet V5.1 and V5.2 Rev A with a new version of the
MULTINET_STREAM_SYMBIONT.EXE image with the following changes:

- Correct errors in memory allocation/deallocation that can cause an ACCVIO
on Integrity systems.
(D/E 10688 STREAM_SYMBIONT-011_A052 ECO ranking: 3)

For MultiNet V5.1 this also includes the following changes:

- Correct an error which can cause the symbiont process to get an ACCVIO
and die.
(DE 10472 ECO STREAM_SYMBIONT-010_A051 ECO Rank 3.)

You do not need to reboot or restart MultiNet after installing this kit.
Queues should be stopped and restarted.

[End of ECO announcement]
Jeremy Begg
2008-12-04 22:54:24 UTC
Hi Geoff,

We have a customer who had problems with printing back in April. They're
running MultiNet 5.1 on Alpha and I noticed that the release notes for this
kit say it can be applied to MultiNet 5.1. However they also refer to an
update called "STREAM_SYMBIONT-010_A051" which I can't find on your FTP
server.

Can you please confirm that we can install STREAM_SYMBIONT-011_A052 on an
AlphaServer running MultiNet V5.1?

Thanks,

Jeremy Begg
[End of ECO announcement]
Ken Connelly
2008-12-05 03:21:20 UTC
Jeremy -

It's not uncommon that a MultiNet patch can also be applied to previous
versions. especially when it's in a peripheral area. And when that's
the case, it seems as though it's always listed under the highest
version to which it applies. On the other hand, a patch to the MultiNet
kernel would almost certainly be version specific. Also, because the
domain name server code changed from BIND 8 to BIND 9 between 5.1 and
5.2, patches there would have to be version specific, but the 5.1 patch
would likely work with 4.4.

In this case, the versions listed are 5.1A and 5.2A. Just this morning,
I applied STREAM_SYMBIONT-011_A052 to my MultiNet 5.1 installation, no
problem.

- ken
--
- Ken
Ken Connelly Associate Director, Security and Systems
email: ***@uni.edu p: (319) 273-5850 f: (319) 273-7373
Jeremy Begg
2008-12-07 03:35:35 UTC
Post by Geoff Bryant
Ken's comments are right on.
In a little digging, it looks like the 5.1 patch was a private release
patch and doesn't seem to have made it to public status. There are a
number of reasons why that can happen and I don't know why it did in
this particular case.
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

Regards,

Jeremy Begg