Multinet ECOs
Malcolm Smeaton
2008-06-25 01:38:48 UTC
Whoops! Wrong list - sorry.

The right list this time I hope.

-----Original Message-----
From: Malcolm Smeaton
Sent: Wednesday, 25 June 2008 1:36 p.m.
To: 'Info-***@process.com'
Subject: Multinet ECOs

I'm confused. We have a mixed Alpha and Itanium VMS cluster. They use the same off-system disk for the Multinet distribution. When I look at the Multinet ECO page I see a whole lot of ECOs that do not appear to be specific to either Alpha or Itanium.

Question 1.

Does this mean that I can install an ECO on EITHER an Alpha server OR an Itanium server and it will install the ECO on BOTH Alpha AND Itanium?

Or do I have to apply the same ECO to each system individually?

Question 2.

Just to confuse things further SOME ECOs look like they ARE platform specific. For example:

ssh-031_a052-axp.zip
ssh-031_a052-i64.zip

Does this mean I should install ssh-031_a052-axp.zip ONLY on an Alpha server AND install ssh-031_a052-i64.zip ONLY on an Itanium server?

-
Regards
Malcolm

Malcolm Smeaton, Server Group Leader Information and Communication Technology Services University of Canterbury Te Whare Wananga o Waitaha Private Bag 4800, Christchurch, New Zealand
Phone:  64-3-364-2333
Fax:    64-3-364-2332
Email:  ***@canterbury.ac.nz
Hunter Goatley
2008-06-25 01:56:40 UTC
Post by Malcolm Smeaton
Does this mean that I can install an ECO on EITHER an Alpha server
OR an Itanium server and it will install the ECO on BOTH Alpha AND
Itanium?
Or do I have to apply the same ECO to each system individually?
The same ECO has to be applied to each type of system individually.
The ECO contains the binaries for all platforms, but only the binaries
for the installing platform are installed.
Post by Malcolm Smeaton
Just to confuse things further SOME ECOs look like they ARE platform
ssh-031_a052-axp.zip
ssh-031_a052-i64.zip
That's only because of the size of the SSH kit---it's broken up into
platform-specific Zip files to minimize the download time for sites
only needing one platform kit.
Post by Malcolm Smeaton
Does this mean I should install ssh-031_a052-axp.zip ONLY on an
Alpha server AND install ssh-031_a052-i64.zip ONLY on an Itanium
server?
Yes.

Hunter
------