FTP between Multinet and WINSCP
Tom Wade
2008-10-14 15:32:18 UTC
Has anyone got a product called WINSCP (FTP client for windows) working
with Multinet 5.2 using plain FTP?

From what I can see it doesn't look like it, but I just wanted to check
before I tell the customer it's not compatible, and to look at FileZilla
instead.

Tom Wade | EMail: tee dot wade at eurokom dot ie
EuroKom | Tel: +353 (1) 296-9696
A2, Nutgrove Office Park | Fax: +353 (1) 296-9697
Rathfarnham | Disclaimer: This is not a disclaimer
Dublin 14 | Tip: "Friends don't let friends do Unix !"
Ireland
Richard Whalen
2008-10-14 18:39:39 UTC
I have only used WINSCP as an SFTP client with MultiNet (works fine).
I know that the developer was working on a re-write such that it could
do FTP as well, but I haven't tried it recently.

Ireland
Richard Whalen
2008-10-14 19:28:53 UTC
I installed the latest version and connected via FTP with Wireshark
running.
I see that WinSCP sent "LIST -a" to get a listing of the files in the
directory.
MultiNet FTP interprets this as looking for the file "-a" and finds (and
displays) nothing.
RFC 959 (FTP) says that the argument to LIST is a pathname, not Unix
flags, so MultiNet FTP is right and WinSCP is not compatible as it
expects to be able to pass Unix flags.

Ireland
Jackson, Craig (Gale)
2008-10-14 19:58:17 UTC
The Berkeley Unix ftp server historically just added the arguments to LIST
to a "ls -l" command, letting the shell expand any wildcards. This
also allowed arguments to be specified. WinSCP is obviously depending
on this behavior.

I wonder if it does the same for a Windows FTP server?

Craig

Ireland
Bob Koehler
2008-10-14 21:15:28 UTC
Post by Tom Wade
Has anyone got a product called WINSCP (FTP client for windows) working
with Multinet 5.2 using plain FTP?
From what I can see it doesn't look like it, but I just wanted to check
before I tell the customer it's not compatible, and to look at FileZilla
instead.
I used to use winscp, but after an update it quit working a few years
ago. I moved to Filezilla and haven't looked back.

I suspect the winscp folks don't test against any stack on VMS.